The P.E. and sport premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the P.E. and sport activities they offer their pupils.
At Walkington Primary School, we value the role that PE & sport plays in both the curriculum and the wider life of our school community and appreciate the potential it has to change young people’s lives for the better.
We have welcomed the Government’s announcement to provide additional funding until 2020 to improve provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. We are committed to using this resource in developing high quality PE lessons, alongside greater opportunities for sporting competitions and clubs for all our young people. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of P.E. and sport in schools.
Funding for schools will be calculated by the number of primary aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11). All schools with 17 or more primary aged pupils will receive a lump sum of £7,535 plus a premium of £5 per pupil. Smaller schools will receive £475 per pupil. Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
For example, you can use your funding to:
• hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
• provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach P.E. and sport more effectively
• introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
• support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs and Change4Life clubs
• run sport competitions
• increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
• run sports activities with other schools